Friends & Neighbors - Hope this note finds you all well. Some of you know that I have been up in NE CA a lot the last 1.5+ years working on behalf of the last of CA's mustangs up there. Now that work has paid off & we have a chance to stand up for the Massacre Lakes Herd through the land use planning process. Here's some general background info:
The BLM Surprise Field Office in Cedarville, CA, has an environmental assessment out for public comment regarding setting wild horse AMLs (appropriate management levels) & livestock numbers in the Massacre Lakes HMA (Herd Management Area). They want to gut the herd down to 25 from about 186 & set the AML at 25-45 while maintaining taxpayer subsidized livestock grazing of 450 cow/calf pairs with a forage allocation from 3 to 6 times more than that allocated for the horses. This is our chance to be at the table to set higher AMLs for the horses that will sustain them long-term as mandated by the 1971 Wild Horse Act.
Please copy & paste the subject line & message below & email it to firstname.lastname@example.org by this Fri, 9/27/13.
Subject: Massacre Lakes EA, DOI-BLM-CAN070-2013-0021-
• I support Alternative 4 in the Massacre Lakes EA that will set the AML for the wild horses at 100-121 animals & reduce livestock numbers so that the forage allocations are more in balance with wild horse & livestock use in the limited size, legal HMA. This allocation follows the original intent of the 1971 Wild Free-Roaming Horses & Burros Act.
• I support the herd being preserved for scientific research studies since it is one of the last herds in the ten Western states to be non-manipulated since 1988.
• I support the herd being managed as an individual herd, not as part of a 'complex' with nearby HMAs, to preserve its integrity for scientific research.
• I support the herd being managed in family units to preserve its most natural state if animals need to be removed by water/bait trapping to obtain the AML of 100-121.
• I expect the wild horses & burros to be managed in accordance with the wishes of the majority of the American people, not in accordance with the demands of the taxpayer subsidized industries that use my public lands for personal gain.
Thank you for your serious consideration of choosing Alternative 4 as the Proposed Action, not Alternative 1.
(Your name, address)