PIONEER, CA - Supervisor Lynn Morgan, Chair of the Amador County Board of Supervisors, is pleased to announce a new pilot project to better serve Amador County’s veterans. Beginning next Wednesday, April 11, Amador County Veterans Services Officer Terry Sanders will hold office hours at the Pioneer Veterans’ Hall on the second and fourth Wednesday of the month, from 8 am to 4 pm. The hall is located at 25115 Buckhorn Ridge Road. Until now, upcountry veterans had to drive all the way to the American Legion Hall in Martell to get help.
“I originally ran for office in part to bring more county services closer to District 3 residents,” Morgan said. “I’m grateful that Terry will be in Buckhorn twice a month to help our upcountry veterans get the help and benefits they need. As the wife of a Vietnam veteran who served in combat zones, I appreciate the sacrifices so many local residents have made to defend our country.”
The county Veterans Services Officer helps local veterans make claims and secure benefits, working with accredited veterans services organizations. Assistance available includes:
- Comprehensive benefit counseling, claim preparation, case management and appeal assistance when appropriate
- Claim development, preparation and submission
- Case management
- Initiate appeals when appropriate
- Network with federal, state and local agencies
- Public speaking - media relations
- Assistance with primary entitlements: service-connected disability compensation and pensions, survivors’ compensation and pensions, medical care access, education and dependent education, college tuition fee waivers for dependents, vocational rehabilitation, aid and attendance benefits for housebound veterans, home loans, state veterans’ homes, burial benefits, and more.
The pilot calls for the Veterans Services Officer to be in Pioneer on the following Wednesdays: April 11th and 25th, May 9th and 23rd, June 13th and 27th.
“I’d like to thank American Legion Post 108 for helping make this pilot project possible,” Morgan added. “I hope local veterans will take advantage of it so that veterans services are permanently available upcountry.”
For more information, see http://www.amadorgov.org/services/veterans-services